Madhira Town is headquarter for Madhira assembly Constituency in Khammam district. It is the gate way to Telangana state from Vijayawada of Andhra Pradesh and situated between Vijayawada, Khammam railway lane. The Madhira Town is known for land of freedom fighters and intellectuals.
The Madhira Town was notified as Town municipal from 1956 to 1963. After that it was converted into Major Grampanchayat. Now it was constituted as Nagarapanchayath Vide G.O.Ms.No.127 MA&UD dt: 27-03-2013 by merging the villages of Madhira, Ambarupeta, Illendulapadu, and Madupally.
The Town is situated in the bank of Wyra River. The famous temple Mruchunjeya Swamy is having same features like Kasi(Varanasi), where the river is on west side and Burial ground is on north side of temple. A (3 )day Jatara is celebrated on auspicious day of Maha Sivaratri in Madhira town every year .